Since the software has grown to be more versatile than ever, its complexity has increased more than ever, too. Software today handles multiple and disparate functions, and hence its development and testing are also multifaceted and time-consuming. It calls for a great deal of automation to meet the time constraints imposed by the industry. Moreover, today, software testing is not done by an individual or a small group of testers due to its larger magnitude. Instead, it is all divided into separate modules and handled by different groups, sometimes from different geographical locations, which again requires an efficient method of integration and verification. Software testing automation is the answer to all the above concerns. It has the most advanced algorithms for functions such as test generation, reporting, execution, and test optimization. Here, let’s have a look at various efficient and popular tools that help in automation for Windows as well as Linux systems.
Selenium is one of the most popular test automation tools and is also open-source. Most of the browsers and frameworks integrate it into their native setups. Major features are:
- It is flexible and easy to use and is friendly for beginners.
- Its major function is the automation of web application testing.
- It supports numerous programming languages and helps you to write your own test scripts by using languages such as Java, .NET, Python, etc.
- It helps in parallel execution, thus reducing time considerably.
- It can provide Linux, Mac, or Windows automation.
Applitools is based in California and has R&D centers in Israel. It started with the aim of reducing software release cycle times. Reputed organizations that make use of Applitools include Sony and Adidas. Its main features are:
- Solid end-to-end visual testing capability and monitoring using Artificial Intelligence (AI).
- It helps in making the code concise and do more in less time as a result of its ability to replace many lines of code with a single API call.
- Makes testing possible across different browsers such as Firefox, Chrome, and Internet Explorer.
- Testing is possible with all versions of devices such as desktop, laptop, mobile phones, and tablets, with different screen sizes and resolutions.
Katalon is based in Georgia and was started to offer a solution for automated testing that is affordable and easy to set up and use. It serves more than 42,000 companies in over 150 countries. Its winning features are:
- Easy to use for beginners as well as experts with the minimum programming skills requirement.
- Single, comprehensive package for all operating systems, making it one of the useful Linux automation tools, besides serving Windows test automation.
- Customizable with numerous plug-ins accessible from Katalon Store.
TestComplete is a versatile UI software testing tool from SmartBear with its global headquarters in Massachusetts. It not only serves as a Windows automation tool but also works with many other applications based on .NET, Visual C++, Java, etc. as well. It boasts of serving 194 countries with its wide range of products. The strengths of TestComplete are:
- With the help of AI-driven visual object recognition, it creates and maintains tests by identifying dynamic elements easily.
- Flexible with options of scriptless testing or freedom to write scripts in up to five languages.
- Option to reuse the generated functional tests and also to import tests from other sources such as Selenium and SoapUI.
- Data-driven test option separates data from commands, thus easing maintenance.
- Built-in keyword test feature for hassle-free keyword-driven testing.
Autotest is the test automation framework, especially for Linux. With its feature of full test automation, Linux kernel testing is easy. It’s an open-source tool under GPL and is used by many big names such as IBM and Google. Its salient features are the following:
- It works based on a server-client model with a foundation of Python programming.
- The server helps in executing tests on multiple devices at the same time.
- Especially suitable for testing low-level systems, such as kernel and hardware.
- With the fully automated testing feature, it considerably reduces human intervention in testing procedures.
Software testing is no more conventional. It uses the most advanced technologies, such as Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML). It helps us learn from our previous sprints as well as efficiently estimate time for the tests at hand. Software test automation increases efficiency, reduces errors, brings down costs, helps in good time management and integration, and smoothens DevOps workflow.